He was admitted to the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy in 1974 and obtained his Doctorate in Canon Law at the Lateran University in Rome in 1976.
He entered the diplomatic service of the Holy See in 1977 and successively served in the Vatican Secretariat of State, the Apostolic Nunciature in Honduras, Cairo, Berlin and Lima until 1992.
On May 30, 1992, he was appointed Bishop of Tunis, ordained Bishop on July 22, 1992 and elevated Archbishop of Tunis in 1994. Pope Benedict XVI appointed him Coadjutor Archbishop of the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem in September 2005, and succeeded Patriarch Michel Sabbah on June 21, 2008, becoming the second Arab and ninth Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem since the restoration in 1847. HB exercised his mandate from June 21, 2008 until June 24, 2016 when His Holiness Pope Francis has accepted his resignation, after having reached the legal age, according to article 401, §1 of the Code of Canon Law.
Curriculum Vitae of His Beatitude, Patriarch Emeritus Fouad Twal
- October 23, 1940: Born Fouad Boutros Ibrahim Twal in Madaba, Jordan
- October 1959: Entered the Patriarchal Seminary in Beit Jala
- June 29, 1966: Ordained priest
- August 1966: Parochial Vicar of the Latin parish of the Holy Family in Ramallah, Palestine
- January 1967: Parish Priest of St. George in Irbed, Jordan
- June 1968: Parish Priest of Mary Mother of the Church in Marka, Jordan
- September 1972: Began Canon Law studies at the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome
- 1974: Admitted to the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy and promised a diplomatic mission
- 1976: Obtained doctorate in Canon Law with thesis on the Traditional Bedouin Law
- 1977: Entered the diplomatic service of the Holy See
- 1978: Appointed Chargé d’Affaires at the Nunciature of Honduras
- 1982: Appointed to the Council for Political Affairs of the Secretariat of State
- 1985: First secretary of the Nunciature in Egypt (Cairo)
- 1988: Adviser of the Apostolic Nunciature in Germany (Bonn)
- 1990: Adviser of the Apostolic Nunciature in Peru (Lima)
- May 30, 1992: Appointed Bishop-Prelate of Tunis
- 1994: Elevated to Archbishop of Tunis
- 2003: Appointed Chairman of the Bishops’ Conference of the Northern Region of Africa (CERNA)
- September 2005: Appointed by His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI Coadjutor Archbishop of the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem
- March 14, 2006: Elected President of Bethlehem University
- January 29, 2007: Appointed member of the Pontifical Council for Inter-religious Dialogue
- June 21, 2008- 24 June 2016: Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem
- March 8, 2009: Appointed member of the Congregation for Eastern Churches
- September 10, 2009: Appointed member of the Presidential Committee of the Pontifical Council for the Family.
- July 15, 2016: Handing over to the new Apostolic Administrator, Archbishop designate Pierbattista Pizzaballa