Name: Saint Joseph Parish
Location: Jifna is a Palestinian village in the Ramallah and al-Bireh Governorate in the central West Bank, located 8 km north of Ramallah. It has approximately 2,150 people. The village has maintained a Christian majority since the 6th century CE. The total land area is 6,015 dunums, of which 420 are designated as built-up areas, most of the remaining land is made up of olive, fig and apricot groves.
School: The Latin Patriarchate school of Jifna was established in 1856, from which many generations have graduated. It was through these graduates that the educational process started in this area and continues to the present day, aiming to develop the students to their best level. Initially, the school was very simple: two teachers and one sister for the elementary classes and one teacher for the kindergarten. Classroom configuration arranged that two grades were placed in one room due to the lack of space and teachers. A further problem presented itself in the absence of necessary equipment to help students comprehend academic subjects. Today, adequate numbers of specialized people are involved with the school. Each class has its own room and so it creates a suitable educational atmosphere. The school has worked very hard, in order to provide students with all the necessary equipment. For example, there is a science lab for the basic grades and all the necessary instruments and equipment are also provided for the kindergarten.
Latin Christians: 428
Parish priest: Fr. Johny Bahbah Address: P.O.B. 47 Jifna Tel & fax: (02) 281 08 73 Mobile: 054 970 64 19 ; 059 932 59 57 E-mail: [email protected]