“Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi, Lex Vivendi” (As we Worship, so we Believe, so we Live)
Nomination of the new Diocesan Liturgical Commission
Dear brother Bishops, Priests, Deacons,
Dear Religious Men and Women and the Faithful,
May the Lord give you Peace!
The Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy of the Second Vatican Council exhorts the Conferences of Bishops to form Liturgical Commissions. In order to promote a pastoral-liturgical action in the Church, the sacred Council has decreed that:
“44. It is desirable that the competent territorial ecclesiastical authority mentioned in Art. 22, 2, set up a liturgical commission, to be assisted by experts in liturgical science, sacred music, art, and pastoral practice. So far as possible the commission should be aided by some kind of Institute for Pastoral Liturgy, consisting of persons who are eminent in these matters, and including laymen as circumstances suggest. Under the direction of the above-mentioned territorial ecclesiastical authority, the commission is to regulate pastoral-liturgical action throughout the territory and to promote studies and necessary experiments whenever there is a question of adaptations to be proposed to the Apostolic See.
- For the same reason, every diocese is to have a commission on the sacred liturgy under the direction of the bishop, for promoting the liturgical apostolate.”
A Liturgical Commission has three main complementary scope of responsibilities described as: Educational Services, Publishing Services, and Consulting Services.
In order to be essentially efficient, this commission will represent in our Diocese, and as much as possible the various regions of the Diocese (Palestine, Israel, Jordan), ecclesiastical realities, liturgical specialties and competencies present.
Therefore, I am pleased to announce the nomination of the following to form the new Liturgical Commission for the Diocese of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem:
- Archbishop Pierbattista Pizzaballa, President
- Rev. Aziz Halaweh, Executive Secretary
- Rev. Amjad Sabbara, OFM, Sunday Pamphlet
- Rev. Marwan Di’des, OFM, Pastoral Liturgy
- Rev. Francis Shahin, Liturgical Books
- Rev. Paolo Alfieri, Latin Texts
- Rev. Rodrigo Machado, OFM, Master of Ceremonies
- Dcn. Firas Abedrabbo, Gregorian Chant
- Dcn. Ramzi Ghanem, Altar Servers
- Sister Lucie Qiqi, Hymnals
- Sister Ada Nava, Sacred Art
- Prof. Dima Yasser, Architecture
- Mr. George Salsa’, Parish Choir
- Mr. Firas Akkawi, Parish Choir
- Mrs. Abeer Zawaydeh, Architecture
The tenure of this new Commission takes effect today. The first year will be Ad Experimentum, which means that the membership mentioned above could either be confirmed, reduced or changed by the end of this period of concrete discernment, in a way that will better serve the mandate of this Commission.
The Liturgical Commission is delegated to participate in the authority ordinarily reserved to the Apostolic Administrator of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, and will therefore have the responsibility to:
- Observe the good practice of the liturgical offices throughout the Diocese of the Latin Patriarchate (parishes, institutions, congregations, schools, etc.);
- Prepare new manuals (books and bulletins in electronic and paper forms) needed for the liturgical offices and rites;
- Revise and reproduce all the necessary liturgical books;
- From a pastoral point of view, form liturgical committees in the various parishes and through liturgical courses, prepare persons capable to assist the parish priests in organizing the liturgical life in their parish;
- Supervise and direct restoration in any church or chapels and special shrines as well as the building of new churches, cemeteries or any other buildings related to worship (for this reason two members of this Commission are architects). Any restoration, rehabilitation, furnishing, or constructions in those facilities should be documented and ultimately approved by the Ordinary after consultation with the Liturgical Commission and other experts if necessary;
- Assure permanent liturgical formation for laity, priests and religious men and women.
I ask for your cooperation and support for the work of this new Diocesan Liturgical Commission.
+ Pierbattista Pizzaballa Apostolic Administrator
January 17, 2020