Beta Version

Saint Joseph the Worker Parish - Reneh

Geo-Historical Context:

Reneh is an Arab village in the Galilee, located between Nazareth and Cana of Galilee. As of 2004, Reneh is home to 15,300 residents, of which 80% are Muslim 19.3% are Christian.

The Latin Patriarchate:

St. Joseph Parish was established in 1878 in Old Reneh together with the boys School. In 1922, a new branch of the school was opened for girls after the arrival of the first two Rosary sisters in the town. In 1927, an earthquake hit the area and Reneh the village that sustained much damage. After this, the Christians started to build their houses in what is known today as ‘New Reneh.’ In the 50s, most people were living in New Reneh while the School and Parish remained in the Old Reneh. Subsequently, the Latin Patriarchate bought land in New Reneh and the current School was built and the name of the Parish was changed from St. Joseph to St. Joseph the Worker. In 1971, Scouts groups for girls and boys were established and continue to operate to the present day. Different prayer groups, and activities for different ages including kids, youth and old people are provided in the Parish.

Statistics:

Population: 15,300

Christians: 3,000

Latin Christians: 850

LPJ School: Students 1,029

LPJ Kindergarten: Students 165


Contact:

Saint Joseph the Worker Parish Parish priest: Fr. Raed Abusahliah Address: P.O.Box 82, 16940 Reneh, Israel Tel: (04) 657 43 35 Fax: (04) 656 65 23 E-mail: [email protected]