The St. Nicodemus and St. Joseph of Arimathea Church is administered by the Franciscans. The present church was built in the nineteenth century on a site believed to be the biblical Arimathea, hometown of Joseph of Arimathea (the man who offered a new tomb where Jesus could be buried). A chapel is dedicated to Nikodemus (also a figure closely associated to the burial of Jesus).
The painting inside the church is attributed to Titian, and was donated by Madrid in 1846.
Source: Custody of the Holy Land
Photos from our Historical Archives office