AL-WAHADNEH / AJLOUN
Tel/Fax: (02) 646 60 02\
In the New Testament period, northern Jordan was the region of the Decapolis, ten cities in Greek, where Jesus taught and performed miracles. One of the four pilgrimage sites, designated in the year 2000 by the Catholic Churches of the Middle East, was Tel Mar Elias between Ajloun and Kirbeh Wahadneh. Kirbet Wahadneh is a small hilltop village overlooking the surrounding countryside with panoramic views of the Jordan valley.
Infrastructures of the Latin Patriarchate
The school first started in a room in a different site, sometimes it was an open air classroom or in an old house next to what was used as a church.
From 1926 to 1948 a small Byzantine church was used. In 1963 the new church was built on the present site. It was consecrated in 1964. The kindergarten started in 1974 and another floor was added in 1983 to accommodate grades 3 and 4. Children in grades 7 to 12 attend a government school.
The present school has three classrooms on each floor for grades 1 to 6. A computer room with only five computers also serves as a library with very limited books in deteriorating condition. Now the kindergarten is located in a separate building built between 1990 and 1992.
Photos from our Historical Archives office