In the New Testament period, northern Jordan was the region of the Decapolis, ten cities in Greek, where Jesus taught and performed miracles. One of the four pilgrimage sites, designated in the year 2000 by the Catholic Churches of the Middle East, was Tel Mar Elias between Ajloun and Kirbeh Wahadneh. Kirbet Wahadneh is a small hilltop village overlooking the surrounding countryside with panoramic views of the Jordn valley.
The Latin Patriarchate School:
The school first started in a room in a different site, sometimes it was an open air classroom or in an old house next to what was used as a church.
From 1926 to 1948 a small Byzantine church was used. In 1963 the new church was built on the present site. It was consecrated in 1964. The kindergarten started in 1974 and another floor was added in 1983 to accommodate grades 3 and 4. Children in grades 7 to 12 attend a government school.
The present school has three classrooms on each floor for grades 1 to 6. A computer room with only five computers also serves as a library with very limited books in deteriorating condition. Now the kindergarten is located in a separate building built between 1990 and 1992.
Latin Christians 440
LPJ School: Students 184
LPJ Kindergarten: Students 41
Saint Elijah Parish
Parish priest : Fr Baha Stephan P.O.Box 1 Al- Wahadneh / Ajloun, Jordan
Phone : 02/6466002 Email: [email protected]