Al Wahadneh Parish - Saint Elijah Church

Al Wahadneh Parish - Saint Elijah Church
Contact information:

Parish priest: Fr. Baha' Istefan

Adress:
P.O.B 1 
AL-WAHADNEH / AJLOUN 
JORDAN

Tel/Fax: (02) 646 60 02\
Mobile: 079 013 13 99
Email: [email protected]

In the New Testament period, northern Jordan was the region of the Decapolis, ten cities in Greek, where Jesus taught and performed miracles. One of the four pilgrimage sites, designated in the year 2000 by the Catholic Churches of the Middle East, was Tel Mar Elias between Ajloun and Kirbeh Wahadneh. Kirbet Wahadneh is a small hilltop village overlooking the surrounding countryside with panoramic views of the Jordan valley.
 

Infrastructures of the Latin Patriarchate

The school first started in a room in a different site, sometimes it was an open air classroom or in an old house next to what was used as a church.

From 1926 to 1948 a small Byzantine church was used. In 1963 the new church was built on the present site. It was consecrated in 1964. The kindergarten started in 1974 and another floor was added in 1983 to accommodate grades 3 and 4. Children in grades 7 to 12 attend a government school.

The present school has three classrooms on each floor for grades 1 to 6. A computer room with only five computers also serves as a library with very limited books in deteriorating condition. Now the kindergarten is located in a separate building built between 1990 and 1992.

 

Statistics

Population 8,000

 Christians 500

 Latin Christians 440

 LPJ School: Students 184

LPJ Kindergarten: Students 41